On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, Gravely Elementary participated in National Young Readers' Day. It is a day aimed at motivating students to read by providing adult role models. They had Guest Readers from within the community, staff, parents, and sailors from the USS Gravely. It was a Fairy Tale theme enjoyed by all!
Glenkirk's First Family Reading Night sponsored by the PTO on November 14, 2014. Reading came alive in fun fantastic ways for more than 100 students.
At family reading night:
- Students participated in crafts, games, and other great activities based on favorite books;
- Listened to reading of fabulous and funny books;
- Created a one of a kind story where anything can happen;
- Got a chance to earn exciting raffle prizes like Glenkirk gear, vouchers for free books, and even a KINDLE won by a 2nd grader;
- Buy reduced price books to bring a new treasure home; and
- Wear their PJs and curl up with a good book.
Families and students at Antietam Elementary enjoyed coming to the school to read together and learn a strategy that can be used at home to benefit comprehension. Teachers modeled retelling or paraphrasing after reading using the STP or STAR strategy. Families cozied up to read a book from their student's book box on blankets throughout the school and practice the strategy. It was a night of fun and learning!